FO: Bunny Blanket #1
Pattern: Bunny Blanket Buddy (Knit Version) by Lion Brand (free pattern)
Yarn: Lion Brand Velvetspun, White
Needles: KnitPicks Harmony, sizes 8 & 10 1/2
Began: December 30, 2007
Knitting completed: December 30, 2007
Finished: January 4, 2008
My first FO of 2008, I actually started this little critter around noon on December 30th and managed to get it all knitted up by about 9 PM that day. I would have completely finished her on the 30th but the fiberfill stuffing that I had was behind the tree and there was no easy way to get to it.
I was home sick today, and since there'd been nothing much to do other than cough and sneeze, I got Mark to bring me a few of my projects, and more importantly, the fiberfill. I stuffed the bunny, threaded a ribbon through it to add some personality, wove in ends and called it a day. I decided against embroidering a face because it seemed like too many things could go wrong. (And, personally, I kinda like it better this way.) I do have to admit to being surprised as to how BIG this little bunny is -- it's about 14" long from head to bottom of blanket -- but that makes for all the better of a snuggly.
My one tip for knitting this with LB Velvetspun is to use wood needles. I originally started it with my Knit Picks Options fixed 10 1/2 16" circular needle. I realized I needed a longer needle and my Options 10 1/2 interchangeable tips were being used for another project. I broke out my Harmony set and used those with a 24" joining thread. That made a world of difference in how smoothly the yarn flowed. I had been struggling a bit earlier and was able to knit a lot easier and avoid aggravating my carpal tunnel because of the switch.
All in all it's a fun little knit and I can't wait to get started on the second one of them. I'm hoping Aden will likes it as much as Hunter does.
A quick note: Oiyi posted a comment on one of her finished ones about not liking the way the head was written but I didn't understand the reason for her mods just from reading the pattern. She decided to convert the head to the round because she liked that way technically better. I decided to follow the pattern as written because I couldn't see what she was talking about at first blush.
After cruising the other finished versions on Ravelry for a bit, I read Gingerly4it's notes about the head cause I was wondering why mine was looking so different from the other ones out there. I've been doing p1, sl1 purlwise. It's giving me a different looking head but I like it well enough. I definitely won't have any problems with stuffing coming out either. I'll probably do p1, sl1 knitwise for the second bunny, though.
But the biggest thing I got out of her notes was how the head opened. With this information, Oiyi's comments on her mods (a departure from the double knitting method Lion Brand used) made sense to me.
P.S. My first Ribby Wrap is officially off the needles. I just need to weave in ends to call it complete. More about this project later...