We have our eagerly awaited ultrasound appointment at 9:15 today. They'll be doing growth checks on the twins so I've got my fingers crossed for good news. According to "What to Expect When You're Expecting," the sea monkeys are supposed to be gaining half an ounce per day past this point.
I'm really hoping that Aden gained at least four ounces again. Technically he should have gained between eight ounces and a pound in the two weeks between growth measurements, but any development will make me happy. Both he and Hunter have been squirming so strongly that it's hard to imagine them being in trouble, and that makes things even more frustrating than they should be. (I'll post an update on the appointment when we get back...)
I'm in serious nesting mode right now and as such I am pretty frustrated to find myself on bedrest. There are pictures to be hung, things to purchased, a nursery, albeit a small one, to be set up. I'll be doing a little more online registry / wishlist shopping after our doctor's appointment — we need to get the pack n' play and the second car seat — but frankly there's not much satisfaction after you hit the "confirm order" button.
The satisfaction comes when you receive the things and put them together or arrange them "just so", which, of course, I'm not allowed do right now.
The only thing that I do have control of is my knitting. There are a slew of things to be blocked and sewn up, to be absolutely finished. Since I started in mid-January, I have completed the knitting on eight sweaters / vests, four pairs of booties, four pairs of mittens, four beanies and two lace caps — all in the newborn to 3 month size.
That's a whole mess of knitting. And a whole mess of UFO's (unfinished objects for those not up on "knitter-speak"). Since the rest of my baby projects are for larger sizes (6 months, 1 year), my goal for the week is to have Mark buy me a bottle of Dreft (or some dye-free, scent-free generic equivalent) and to get to blocking, sewing up ends and otherwise getting all my newborn knits finished and ready to wear.
As a recap, here're all the projects that need to be finished up:
Classic Cashmere Sweaters
Classic Cashmere Booties
Vine Lace Baby Hats
Some of these only need to be gently blocked and have a few loose ends sewn in; others require fiddly piecing together and sewing on of buttons, among other things. Still it's all very doable. I'm thinking of washing and blocking two sweaters a day, then sewing them up the following day when they are dry. That way I can easily block them on my sewing table with minimal effort. It'll be slower than trying to do them all at one shot, but it will be more manageable in the long run.
Fortunately, aside from the Vine Lace Baby Hats, the accessories (hats, mittens and booties) need no blocking so I can sew up the loose ends of those pretty much at will and have them completed in a day or two.
And to keep my hands actually knitting between finishing sweaters, I've started swatching for the Classic Baby Cardigans in my sidebar at left. As of last night, I thought I had gauge (a weird 6 1/4 stitches per inch!) but I want to work a few more rows before diving fully in.